Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Ester

Today was Easter, or as we call it in our house "Ester," after an elementary school aged Son #1 misspelled the word on an egg some 9 years ago.

It was a splendid Spring day here - light breeze, sunny, warm, bright clear skies, birds singing; a damn fine day.
Sassy woke up bright and early amped to see what the Ester Bunny brought her. After scouring the contents of her basket, she waited patiently for an hour & a half (!) for her brothers to get up for the egg hunt.
She busted out the door and charged full steam ahead to collect as many of the eggs the bunny, named Harvey, had stashed for she and her brothers.
As soon as I walked outside I noticed that some of the eggs were open and empty.
The trail of compromised and violated eggs lead from our front door, along the front wall of the house, over the rock wall, under the trampoline, and down into the woods behind our house; a total of 8 eggs!
I busted out laughing!
In the 12 years we have lived in this house, never before have the raccoon's raided the Ester stash, ever!
We had an agreement, dammit!
This year however, it seems Hershey's kisses, Kit Kat's, and Peppermint Patties were just too much to resist and the agreement went by the wayside.
All day long I imagined that somewhere down in the woods, a raccoon spending the day suffering with an aching belly.
I pictured him/her rolling around on their back, holding their little belly, and trying to breathe through the cramping, gas and bloating.
I laughed, and shook my head at the orneriness of it all.
I think it's funny they seized the moment and went for the sugary goodness.
In line with my slightly twisted thinking, I have named "her" Ester the Easter Raccoon.
I lay money on the fact that today she was not happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment